Saturday, July 22, 2006

Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger

 
Did anyone get anything like this recently? I just got a MSN Messenger pop-up alert advertising Yahoo! Messenger. Bizarre.

Just learned that the two messenger services will be (thanks to Geoff) linked together. The deal was announced October last year and has recently gone through - although I've been oblivious to it all along.

Anyway, my initial reaction was that this will benefit MSN more... Who uses Yahoo! Messenger anyway?? Interestingly, Yahoo! appears to be more popular in America than MSN. On the other hand, worldwide, MSN has a bigger share. Nonetheless, AOL beats both of them with its AIM and ICQ. It's all rather new news to me - it reflects just how out-of-touch I'm with the teeming world of IM... And I thought no one used ICQ anymore...

 


2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 22, 08:45:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably because they're becoming interoperable?

See for instance:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/07/12/yahoo.msn.to.join.via.im/

 
At Sat Jul 22, 09:05:00 pm, Blogger jj said...

Very interesting... wasn't aware of that - thanks for the link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home