Sunday, June 25, 2006

Portugal vs Netherlands - tempers flare!

 


Wow, this certainly would be the most bizarrely roudy game I've ever seen. Even with bothsides chalkful of yellow cards, around minutes 60 -70, it all went berserk and the referee was pulling out cards almost every minute. Lots of arguing, which became physical - and then more yellow cards. 16 yellow cards (4 red cards) - now that is a record! Now, this is what I call entertainment (in a twisted 'fight club' way).

Pics from gettyimages (above image from Google). I've only got the really dirty ones. Real Tsk tsk.


Figo head-butts Van Bommel , after a foul made by Van Bronckhorst. Huh?
The referee doesn't see it. Figo gets a booking only after it is pointed out later.


Sneijner shoves Petite on the ground in anger and is restrained.


Ooijer scuffles with the Portugese after a red card is handed to the Dutch team.
Oh dear.


Deco is given the red card (2nd yellow) after he picks up the ball with his hands to prevent the Netherlands to take a free-kick. Huh?

England vs Portugal on July 1st
England must be quietly smiling, as their next match will see Portugal's Deco, Constinha, Ronaldo, and possibly Figo on the bench. But I wouldn't be rejoicing just yet - England's performance has consistently failed to inspire throughout this World Cup. Sigh.

UPDATE: Figo will OK to compete in the next game. And Ronaldo seems fit to do so as well.

Some minute to minute coverage:
Guardian Unlimited
NYTimes

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home